Moving to Australia – Things You Should Know

Have you thought about moving to Australia and live indefinitely there? You will need to apply for a visa if you are not an Australian citizen. There are different types of visa to apply for, and it will depend on how long you are going to stay in the country and the purpose as to why you want to move in. The most common reasons why people want to move into Australia indefinitely are for work, study or bringing a partner or the family in.

Your belongings

You have the option to send your belongings to Australia either by international post mail, sea cargo or air. These are unaccompanied items wherein it contains the either personal or household items.

When you send your unaccompanied belongings, you need to use the B534 Form Unaccompanied Personal Effects Statement rather than using the Import Declaration, since you don’t carry your belongings with you but is sent on a separate cargo. Also referred to as UPE or Unaccompanied Personal Effects, items belonging to this category usually define the personal and household items. Other items not identified as UPE include:

  • Commercial goods
  • Parts of motor vehicle
  • Motor vehicle
  • Bequeathed goods
  • Items that were bought from the internet.


If an individual is eligible for the concession, the UPE they hold can be cleared from the customs control without the need to pay for the service, goods or customs duty tax.To be eligible for this category, you need to arrive on an aircraft or ship away from Australia. Migration Australia can provide you with expert advice on Student Migration Services. You also need to meet the conditions of permanent residency and that the goods should meet the following:

  • Intended and suitable to use in Australia by you
  • Your property
  • Personally used and owned overseas for a specific span of time. In general, this is a 12 month period before your departure to Australia.

You will not receive any concession for the following:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Tobacco related products such as cigarettes
  • Motor vehicle parts and motor vehicle

Keep in mind that the duty-free concession that applies to tobacco and alcohol beverage products that you carry when you arrive in the country do not pass up for the UPE. The tobacco products and alcoholic beverages that arrive and declared as UPE in Australia will be assessed for the GST, duty or wine equalization tax.

Find out more information regarding the items that you can carry at your Australian Embassy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *